Village Hall History

IMG_5397.jpg

The Memorial Hall is part of a timber-framed American WW1 Military Hospital.  It was transported to the village from the London area and erected on land donated by a resident in 1920.  Although it has been modernised several times, it still retains the original timber framing and roof supports. The last refurbishment, which included an extension with new kitchen and toilets, was completed by volunteers in 2004. 

 

In addition to being a popular venue for social events and entertainment the Hall also houses the Village's two War Memorials.  These are mounted on the west wall of the Hall and serve as the focal point of the annual Remembrance Service.  They consist of an oak plaque bearing the names of the fallen from the Catbrook district in both World Wars and a vellum Scroll of Honour which lists the names, theatre of service and fate of the men from Trellech parish who served in WW1.

When the hall was opened there was a bazaar, concert and party with dancing until 3am. To read the newspaper article about the hall (and the party) please click on the Monmouthshire Beacon article. 

The sharp eyed amongst you will note that the hall was officially opened on 30th December 1920. However, the stone plaque (centre below) outside the hall says that it was erected in 1924!

monmouthshire-beacon-logo.jpg
Roll of Honour 1.jpg
Stone Plaque.jpg
Roll of honour 2.jpg

Please click on the images above for a transcript of the texts

IWM logo.png

The War Memorial is now part of the War Memorials Register on the Imperial War Museum website. To see the entry for Catbrook, click on the logo.